Thursday, October 11, 2012

Greedy Business

by Jackie Strosser

I have been camping in an old Civilian Conservation Camp in Masten, in Lycoming County, PA for over 20 years. The camp has quite a long history in my family - my PopPop began visiting there when he came home from WWII. This camp has become a special place in my heart. Being there gave always gave me a feeling of peace & quiet and serenity. Once, I was even blessed to see a mountain lion cross my path a hundred feet from me while in my car. But recently, things have changed. Wildlife is being forced out of their homes and onto roadways and getting killed. The grey mud and the stench of oil is terrible. Old CCC camps & hiking trails are being destroyed due to the gas drillers. Beautiful creeks & streams have been ruined.

The drilling industry has no respect for our Pennsylvanian forests. Instead, all they see are dollar signs. This is a greedy business. Pennsylvania is known for its beauty and natural forests full of mountain laurel, the state flower. It is heartbreaking that this could be taken from us if we don’t fight it. Please don’t allow drilling in our pristine forests!   

No comments:

Post a Comment