Friday, October 19, 2012

Frozen Run Gorge- a hidden gem of the Loyalsock


The beauty of the Loyalsock State Forest is not limited to Rock Run or the Old Loggers Path.  A few years ago I ventured into the isolated western edge of the state forest.  It was a searing hot June day as the deep green foliage simmered through the haze.  I drove my car up the long, dirt road on Bodine Mountain where I passed a large drilling operation.  The workers just stared at me as my car crested the mountain.

I headed north along the baked ridge, passing a beautiful view to the south.  I reached a small dirt parking area.  I stopped, but my goal was still far away.  I was determined to explore the lonely, isolated Frozen Run Gorge.

I found a small tributary as it cascaded down a rugged glen with boulders and small waterfalls.  I battled through brush and crouched under hemlocks.  Sweat crept down my skin and drowned my brow.  The water danced down the gradient as I carefully descended the glen.  I found an old logging grade and I reached Frozen Run.

This esoteric stream flowed under towering hardwoods as its clear current parsed the forest.  I first hiked upstream, passing a creek clogged with large boulders separated by crystalline pools.  The clear water fell with gowns of white that glistened in the unrelenting sun.  Frozen Run took a tortured course over ledges and between boulders, creating a place of impressive beauty.

I reversed course and hiked downstream, finding another old woods road.  The creek lept from boulder to boulder.  To my surprise, there was virtually no stinging nettle in the gorge.  The creek became constricted and massive boulders crowned the rim.  I reached Boulder Falls, a place of sublime wonder.

                                                       Boulder Falls, Frozen Run Gorge

The massive white boulders were perched in improbable positions on the crest of the ledge that created the falls.  At the foot of the falls was a large pool.  I've seen many special places, but to see one that few others have experienced made it especially memorable.  The falls are not very high, but its setting is unlike any I've seen in the state forest.

I continued down the creek, as it fell away along a steep gradient of boulders.  I couldn't imagine what it must be like with high water.  The roar down the gorge would be deafening.  I continued my trek and I reached a stunning mini-gorge with waterslides and cascades that swirled into a deep aquamarine pool guarded by red ledges and lime-colored ferns.  I retraced my steps at a private property line.  I was amazed and fulfilled by what I had seen; I remember thinking this gorge should be a state forest natural or wild area.

I have not been back since; I can only hope Frozen Run Gorge has retained its magic.  I've heard there may be drilling in its headwaters.  Regardless, make the effort to visit this secret, hidden wonder.  It isolation and beauty will make you treasure this place we call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment