Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Rock Run Love

Some Lycoming County natives and outdoor enthusiasts wrote letters to RDA expressing their love for Old Loggers Path & Rock Run. They gave us permission to share their letters with you:


Vista on Old Loggers Path. Photo by: Michael Juskelis

Thank you for helping in the effort to save 'my' mountain, Rock Run! I grew up in Ralston and those mountains were my playground. I don't get home often but when I do I go up on the mountain and soak it in. I have told my family to sprinkle my ashes at Band Rock and 2nd Falls so I can be home where I grew up in the place I love. I know you will try to save the mountain for me and I thank you for your effort!

-Ann Campbell Brooks
 p.s. My family history is on that mountain as well. My grandfather and great uncle made the old road (long overgrown now) that circled the mountain top. Too many wonderful stories and memories.You do know that there is an old cemetery on top of the mountain as well as the one at the bottom? History...
  



I was up driving around the Old Loggers Path in December 2011. We were up there around the 27th and I could not believe how much damage was done from the flooding. Everywhere you looked in the woods there were hundreds if not thousands of little plastic flags and yellow tape marking spots for the gas industry to wreck some of the forest to look for gas. I grew up in Williamsport and have hiked, camped and went swimming in this area since 1976. My parents would take us on day trips and camping trips since the mid 1960s. I have cherished and loved this area for over 47 years and will not stand by and let it be destroyed. I really don't have any money to contribute to the cause but I do have a computer and will write as many letters as need be to stop the gas industry from wrecking this area. Give me a list of who to contact and I will be more than happy to voice my opinion and outrage to whom it may concern. 

Thank you,
Warren Erb Jr.
werb4637@verizon.net



1 comment:

  1. I also grew up adjacent to the Old Loggers Path/Rock Run area. My grandfather was part of the CCC project in the 1930's to reclaim and preserve the forest land and Pleasant Stream after the loggers and industry (a clothespin factory in Masten) had overharvested. Generations of us since have quietly enjoyed the little-known area...an area which, once encountered, leaves a lasting impression of serenity, unspoiled nature, and tranquil other-worldliness that is almost unknown in our modern world. To despoil this paradise with gas drilling or any other industry would be nothing short of ungodly. The surrounding area has suffered enough, leave the people some refuge.

    ReplyDelete